Shabbat Candle lighting time: 4:11 (Friday, December 13, 2019)
Shabbat ends: 5:11 (Shabbat night, December 14, 2019)
Lessons for today, Sunrise: 7:08
Monday, 11 Kislev, 5780 - December 9, 2019
Latest Shema: 9:28
Summary of Today's Chumash
In the second aliyah Yakov sends lavish gifts to Esav. There are commentaries that say that on the way to Lavan's house 22 years earlier Yakov promised to give 10% of his income to tzeduka, but he delayed doing so, so he winds up having to give it away in this way. Other commentaries say specifically that he did already give 10% to tzeduka, and these gifts were from his remaining 90%. Also in this aliyah, is an all night wrestling match between Yakov and Esav's guardian angel. In this aliyah Yakov's name is changed to Israel.