Shabbat Candle lighting time: 5:46 (Friday, October 23, 2020)
Shabbat ends: 6:44 (Shabbat night, October 24, 2020)
Lessons for today,
Wednesday, 3 Cheshvan, 5781 - October 21, 2020
In the fourth aliyah G-d tells Noach to leave the tevah with his wife and his sons with their wives. With them, all the animals and fowl and creeping things in the tevah leave with their mates.
Noach builds a mizbeach (altar) and makes offerings to G-d.
G-d says that He will never again kill everything as He did with the mabul. G-d blesses Noach and his sons and says "pru urvu", "be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth".
Here G-d gives mankind permission to eat meat, but not the flesh of a living animal. The prohibition of murder is also given here. These laws are part of the seven Noachide laws that apply to all humanity, and that the Jewish people are supposed to teach to non-Jews. They are:
- Belief in G-d - Do not worship idols
- Respect G-d and praise him - Do not blaspheme his name
- Respect human life - Do not murder
- Respect the family - Do not commit immoral sexual acts
- Respect for others' rights and property - Do not steal
- Creation of a judicial system - Pursue justice
- Respect all creatures - Do not eat the flesh of an animal while it is still alive